I live in a town with a Family History Society and an Historical Society.
The Family History Society aims include:
- conduct meetings
- organise guest speakers
- purchase of research resources for use in the Regional History Room
- assisting people with family history research.
The Historical Society aims include:
- research and preserve the history of the district
- to assist people researching local history
- to assist people researching family history.
What advantages/disadvantages are there in joining such societies?
What attributes should I look for to decide the more appropriate one?
My family tree background is Australian on both sides, English 2 generations back on my mother's side and Scottish 3 generations ago on my father's side. There is no currently no known link to any local individuals, dead or alive.