According to notes passed down by my granddad (from an unknown source), I have an relative, Gustav Adolf Neumann, who was born 1824 in Leipzig, Saxony, and who eventually immigrated to the United states, arriving on the sailing ship Louisiana in 1858/1859 from Bremen, Germany, to New York, USA -- see the ship manifest New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1891 and the general United States Germans to America Index, 1850-1897. (I know that the birth year on the passenger list is estimated as 1825, but this is a proven mistake, due to a calculation error in the databases linked above.)
I found potential informatiopn that he might have fought in the US Civil War -- either in the 7th Regiment, New York Infantry or in the 75th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry or in the 15th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery, as seen on the U.S. National Park Service's Soldiers and Sailors Database. But there is no (dis-)proof yet.
Where can I look for more records about his whereabouts, death, marriage or eventual army records?
Search results from U.S. National Park Service Soldiers and Sailors Database:
Results for Soldiers Showing Results 1 - 3 of 3
Neumann , Gustav Battle Unit Name: 75th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry Side: Union Neumann , Gustave Battle Unit Name: 15th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery Side: Union Neumann , Gustav Battle Unit Name: 7th Regiment, New York Infantry Side: Union
(No results with the same search for Confederate Soldiers.)
After a break, I continued the search for Gustav Adolf Neumann whereabouts. I tried the following collections on familysearch:
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Naturalization Index (Soundex), 1792-1906
- New York State Census, 1865
without any results.
- Do you have any suggestions where to look online for Gustav Adolf Neumann (1824-?)?
- If he was fighting in the American Civil War, he might have been killed/went missing in action. Is there a "complete" list of all/most fallen soldiers during that war somewhere?
- How likely was it that Gustav Adolf changed his name to one more English and, if so, which would it be given his original names?