after reaching out to some historical societies in Massachusettes, I learned that I was dealing with two exact people named “Michael Praniewicz” – sorry for all the confusion. Below you will see my edited, much more precise questions.
My main questions are as follows:
- Where do you think Ryski, Russia is? This is the place of his birth listed on his naturalization (intent and decloration) papers. I cannot located any town called “Ryski, Russia”.
- Furthermore, I found this list of noble people of Vilnius in 19th century. Both of his surnames “Praniewicz” and “Gudzinowicz” – could this just be a coincidence, or should I write to the Lithuania archives to see if they have anything on his birth in Wilno/Vilnius? It sort of makes sense to me because I have been told that our family was a wealthy family. Our last name means "Son of a Laundered one" Lol - so we musta been clean/wealthy folks!?
- He came to New York on a ship called “Palatia” on July 20, 1900. Looking through ancestory at all of the names, and he does not come up having arrived on the Palatia. Any ideas? Is there a way to search deeper into the ship records?
Full name: Michał (Michael) Gudzinowicz Praniewicz
- Alternate spellings of surname: Prenewicz, Pronowicz?
- April 25th or 30th, 1871 or 1872 (listed on Naturalization papers July 9, 1912 and on death certificate June 24th, 1948)
- Ryski, Russia (listed on naturalization papers July 9, 1912) (Foreign residence St. Petersburg Russia)
- Poland (listed on death certificate)
death date: June 20th, 1948 11:35am
death place: Allegheny, Pittsburg, Mercy Hospital
parent's names: Unknown, but they were Polish
Spouce: Rozilla OR Rosalie OR Rose, Salachińsk OR Salaczińska OR Salacheeska OR Salawański OR Salatyński OR Sałacztńska
spouse's birth date:
- 1893 (1940 Census, enumerated in Pennsylvania)
- 09 Feb 1891 (united states Social Security death index)
- OR 11 Feb 1890 (according to Family)
spouse's birth place: Poland (family says “between Poland and Russia)
spouse: death date: July 1976 (cannot find death record)
marriage date: unknown, cannot find marriage record. Around 1912?
Marriage place: unknown, I think Pennsylvania. cannot find marriage record. Family says she came to the US at 16 or 17 to live with her sister, met Michael when she worked as a waitress on the southside. He had been in Pennsylvania and owned property since at least 1906. He came into her restaurant and sat at the same booth and ordered coffee all the time. They liked talking because they understood the same language. Family said he was around 44 and she was 18 when they got married. Not sure if this is true.
If immigrated, residence in US: He stayed in Pennsylvania his whole life.