I have two merged family trees and I would like to know if there is a way to break them back into two separate family trees?

I downloaded the My Heritage Family Tree Builder 8.0. I got the GEDCOM file from my cousin which I uploaded into the program. When I seen that both our family trees were in the one GEDCOM file, I was a bit disappointed and that is why I am asking the question.

  • Hi, Dean, welcome! If you downloaded MyHeritage's free program, that is Family Tree Builder (not Maker). I have edited your question to reflect that.
    – Jan Murphy
    Commented Feb 26, 2017 at 17:00
  • I'm a total novice to genealogy. I'm wondering where to begin with researching my family history. Is Family Tree Maker worth trying? I have just discovered about family tree builders. I have read that Myheritage allows photographs to be incorporated and has worldwide genealogy community, helping its users link to relatives overseas. Commented Mar 31, 2017 at 15:53
  • I've converted this non-answer by @RomaxShpek to a comment temporarily because it isn't an answer to the question. But both of you have confused Family Tree Maker, the program that integrates with Ancestry, with Family Tree Builder, the program that integrates with MyHeritage. Please make use of the material in the help center to learn more about how the site works, and when writing questions, please take more care to ask a question that asks about the correct program.
    – Jan Murphy
    Commented Mar 31, 2017 at 17:33

1 Answer 1


The MyHeritage site has an FAQ entry for this. It walks you though the progress with pictures and everything.

Summary: You goto to File -> Export GEDCOM, fill in the dialog until you get to the "Pick content" section. There you can pick the option Include only selected people. Choose the person you want the tree to start with and click Edit to select Descendents, Spouses and Ancestors, so that you get the complete tree. Then save the file.

You can now open the exported file again with Family Tree Builder or upload it into MyHeritage or any other program/website that supports the GEDCOM format.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.