I'm searching for the marriage of the parents of one of my ancestors, and the baptisms of her siblings, and have a sequence of events that could have multiple interpretations.
Ann[e] Westwood was born in 1811 in Kingswinford Staffordshire (according to the 1841 and 1851 censuses, and her 1852 death certificate). She married Samuel Page in Kingswinford in 1831. The census records of 1841 and 1851 have her living in Brockmoor, Kingswinford; she died in 1852 in the Union Workhouse in Wordsley a few miles away. All 12 of her children and her husband were baptised within the Church of England (in Brierley Hill), so I consider it very likely that she was baptised in the Church of England, as well. (It is of course possible that she wasn't baptised at all -- see What proportion of the births or baptisms of children were recorded in early nineteenth century England?)
The best fit baptism given the evidence from other records is:
- Anne Westwood baptised Brierley Hill (a chapelry of Kingswinford that was closer to Brockmoor than the main church) on 28 Jul 1811, daughter of Edward Westwood and Hannah.
And that's where the fun begins.
I've found the following marriages of an Edward Westwood in Staffordshire from 1777-1811 (assuming his wife was less than 50 when she gave birth to Anne, and 16 or more then she married) in Kingswinford and adjacent parishes:
- 26 Sep 1802 Kingswinford Edward x Eleanor Thomson
- 31 May 1803 Kingswinford Edward x Elizabeth Guest
- 4 Mar 1804 Wombourne Edward Westwood x Mary Aston. This couple were baptising children in Wombourne between 1807 and 1812 so can be eliminated.
Note: In this period couples whose nearest church was in Brierley Hill still married in Kingswinford.
There is no marriage between an Edward Westwood and an Ann/Hannah/Nancy, nor any Westward marriages.
Looking for baptisms with a father of Edward in Kingswinford or Brierley Hill in the period up to 20 years after the two remaining candidate marriages, I find:
- Mary 26 Dec 1802 BH Edward x Eleanor
- Thomas 23 Sep 1804 BH Edward x Eleanor
- Thomas 5 Oct 1806 KW Edward x Elizabeth
- Sarah 19 Apr 1807 BH Edward x Eleanor (buried 19 Jun 1807)
- Maria 19 Mar 1809 BH Edward x Eleanor
- Anne 28 Jul 1811 BH Edward x Hanh
- Sarah 17 Jul 1814 BH Edward x Eleanor (Brockmoor, Collier)
- William 19 Jan 1817 BH Edward x Elzth (Brockmoor, Miner)
- Eliza 7 Nov 1819 BH Edward x Eleanor (Brockmoor, Miner)
- James 19 May 1822 BH Edward x Eleanor (Brockmoor, Miner)
- Maria Jane 2 Oct 1823 BH Edward x Anne (Moor Lane, Black bottle manufacturer)
- Jos 15 Jun 1825 BH Edward x Eleanor (Brockmoor, Collier) (also buried 15 Jun 1825)
The only Westwood children I have found baptised to Edward Westwood and Hannah/Ann/Nancy between 1802 and 1822 are: Edward, Josiah, Alfred, Olivia, Samuel baptised 1816 - 1830 in Warwickshire/Birmingham to Edward Westwood and Hannah Thompson. Edward and Hannah married in 1813 in Aston Warwickshire,so I have eliminated this family.
All searches have been done on on all of: Ancestry, Findmypast, Freereg and in PDF versions of parish register transcripts for Kingswinford and Brierley Hill.
How should I interpret this sequence of records? And what other searches should I carry out to resolve the question of Anne Westwood's parentage?