I am far from an expert when it comes to genealogy but I just had a random thought. How do you deal with complex incestual relationships in genealogy when trying to represent a family tree.

  1. A father makes his own daughter pregnant, she gives birth to a boy. In this case, your son is also your grandson.

  2. A son makes his own mother pregnant, she gives birth to a girl. In this case, your daughter is also your sister.

  • Welcome to Genealogy &Family History StackExchange. Could you clarify what you're asking, please? Are you interested in how to represent the relationships? The ethical issues associated with documenting the relationships? Or something else? As it stands, this isn't a question that fits our site -- please take the genealogy.stackexchange.com/tour and read our information about what you can (genealogy.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic) and can't (genealogy.stackexchange.com/help/dont-ask) ask here and then try to update your question to make it more specific.
    – user104
    Jan 17 '20 at 9:35
  • Hello @ColeValleyGirl I thought it was pretty clear, but I wanted to know when you represent a family tree, how do you deal with the two cases I mentioned?
    – soueuls
    Jan 17 '20 at 12:46
  • That depends on the software you're usuing -- different programmes may handle it differently.
    – user104
    Jan 17 '20 at 13:20

If you are asking for visual representations, the following would be the simplest. Software programmes, using database information, would be able to add names, dates, additional generations, fancier formatting, etc. Genealogy software depends on linking people as spouses or as parents & children to determine relationships. There is also software that is oriented to health concerns, that can visually represent inherited medical and genetic issues, that occur in related people.

Incest charts

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.