I am looking for a relative, probably born on a military base in Germany around 1954. I found her and her mother on a passenger list coming from Germany back into a port in NY in 1954. The mother was born in Louisiana and the daughter was born in Germany. No ages are listed on the document. How do I locate a birth certificate if she is a US citizen but born in Germany? She is deceased and so is her mother and all descendants are deceased.

  • 2
    You wrote, "She is deceased and so is her mother ..." Have you located these individuals in the social security death index (which might provide a clue about when each was born)?
    – GeneJ
    Commented Oct 23, 2012 at 18:23
  • 1
    Don't hesitate to specify names and places in the question, the more information you provide the more we as a community can assist you. Commented Oct 23, 2012 at 23:20

1 Answer 1


The U.S. State Department handles the acquisition of records pertaining to children born overseas on Military installations.

The links below should provide you with a map, and other resources to narrow down your search. The Base installation (place name) and the person(s) name will make your search more easily obtainable.

Military.com: Military installations map, Germany

U.S. Department of State, Office of the Historian


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.