My grandfather was born in Sweden in 1877 and he was a Johansson. He came to the U.S. in 1891 and the next record I can find is his Naturalization and his name is now Erickson.

Where did he get his name changed?

Is there a formal document that makes this change legal?

  • 1
    Welcome to G&FH SE! As a new user be sure to take the Tour to learn about our focussed Q&A format which is quite different from bulletin boards, discussion forums and other Q&A sites you may be used to. When did he get naturalized? Knowing that will narrow any search for when he may have changed the name by which he went.
    – PolyGeo
    Mar 7 at 21:39
  • 2
    Hi, welcome to G&FH.SE! It would be much easier to answer your question if you could tell us where you found his naturalization papers and when he was naturalized. All we know right now that it is sometime after 1891, and presumably he naturalized sometime after 1896. Did he naturalize before or after September 1906? Whether documents exist for a name change depend on the laws in effect at the time, so knowing the time period can really make a difference in how we answer.
    – Jan Murphy
    Mar 8 at 0:14
  • 1
    While you are waiting for an answer, look at other questions tagged name-change to see if you can get some ideas to help you. Try to collect more documents and record all the name variants to see what names were used when. You can add more information to your question at any time by using the edit link under your question. I have changed your question title because you don't say what location your ancestor naturalized in, and before 1906 the answer may differ, depending on which state he lived in.
    – Jan Murphy
    Mar 8 at 0:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.