My dad was born 1947 in Poland and died in 1997 in Poland. He migrated to the US and became a naturalized US citizen in the 1970s and also served on the polish army but I can't find the town. My parents were also married in Poland in the same town and came back to the US. He had a brother and sister in Poland and married my mother in Poland. I have pictures of their wedding but I don't know who everyone is. I'm trying to get his birth and death records and military records.

  • So if I don't read or write polish and I live in the US how do I go about asking the polish embassy in the US to help me? Feb 15, 2023 at 1:08
  • I suggest using Google Translate.
    – PolyGeo
    Feb 16, 2023 at 7:36

1 Answer 1


For a person living after World War 2, all those documents can be obtained online, from the state. However, this requires one to a) read and write Polish b) have an online Polish government identity. You can also apply for those via a post letter, though overseas mail takes quite some time. It's also easier if you do know your father's PESEL (identification number). There's a small fee to pay, around $5.

Other options are

  • asking a family member in Poland to apply for those for you (there's a field on the form to authorize someone else to act in your name)
  • asking the Polish Embassy/Consulate in the USA for help - this should be a fairly routine thing for them

Regarding military service, it seems like one can only obtain their own record, not for someone else, even a close family member, and archives available currently end at the end of World War 2.

  • Once someone has died family mebers can indeed obtain the dead relative's Military Record. Oct 18, 2023 at 23:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.