I have an individual who travelled by ship to England and stayed 3 years upon returning to Australia. I wish to record the details but am unsure what event to do so under. It was not immigration/emigration. Is there a tag or event within GEDCOM I would use?

3 Answers 3


Depends on what your software does.... So far as I understand, there is no standard GEDCOM tag for this. My software allows the creation of "custom" or "user defined" tags (whatever you want to call them), so I defined an ARRIVAL and a DEPARTURE events to accommodate the two things.

  • 1
    I was going to answer, but this says it all.
    – user104
    Feb 11, 2013 at 18:08
  • Check how your software exports custom events. If it creates its own tag, with or without a leading underscore, then other programs won't understand it. The proper way all programs should do custom events is with an EVENt tag and a subordinate TYPE tag, e.g. 1 EVEN 2 TYPE Arrival
    – lkessler
    Feb 27, 2013 at 14:19

If you want to find what tags are valid in a Gedcom the Gedcom standards for v5.5 are available as a pdf download from HERE. As already stated there is no purpose build tag for this. The standard does allow for non-standard tags so that may be something worth exploring BUT bear in mind that they will be unique to you.


Record the details of the stay in England with the RESI (resides at) tag.

Specify the period of stay as a date using the FROM/TO format to whatever level of detail you know it.

Include any details of the travel to, or travel from England in a NOTE.

Don't forget to source it.


2 DATE FROM 1835 TO 1838
2 PLAC England
2 NOTE Travelled by ship to England and stayed 3 years upon returning to Australia.
2 SOUR @S20@

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.