My father was born in La Linea, Spain. He said he played football for Morocco and also was married there. He spent many years in Morocco in the 1940's. How can I learn more about him?
You have several ways to investigate.
By the time your father was born, almost all citizens were baptised in Spain. Catholic Church is keeping an strong record of baptism and all related sacraments in the faith.
- If you know the church and the baptism date you will be able to find the church he was baptised. If you get the record of the baptism you will have information about a previous place he lived and some relatives (godfather and godmother)
- Not having the date of baptism of the specific church will require to go church by church in la Linea.
- If your father kept the catholic faith and married in Marocco in catholic faith you can also contact the church where he married (there are very few!!!), that will have a tracked record towards the baptism place. You will also get another living relatives, witness and another address.
Concerning spanish registries:
- When your father moved to the country he has been living, that country should have communicated the change of country to spanish authorities. There should be specific information about birth registry in Spain.
- With that information you can request spanish registry to provide you the birth registry information and any related civil information (marriage). Also you will be able to track your granparents.
With that information you will be able to explore descendants and previous living places.