One of my ancestors was arrested and killed in the purges of the 1930's in the Soviet Union. I've heard of people who got papers from the Russian (post Soviet) government containing the "crimes" they were accused of and the interrogation they were subject to,

Where can I find this data? Is it online?


2 Answers 2


You can try to look for this data in FSB archives. They were declassified in 2007. http://www.russialist.org/archives/2007-150-34.php

  • Are they available online?
    – ruski
    Dec 22, 2014 at 6:33
  • Unfortunately, no. You have to send a request by mail (it seems it's possible to send a request by email as well). There is a long thread on one of Russian genealogical forums (forum.vgd.ru) about that, you can look it up. forum.vgd.ru/447/22429/0.htm
    – vladich
    Dec 22, 2014 at 22:19

Memorial community collects information about political arrestants from USSR and places information here in alphabetical lists of surnames. One can try to look through lists and find ancestor's names.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.