My 4th great grandparents Robert Chichester (1767-1830) and Martha Noake (1762-1836) married on 13 Apr 1797 at Branscombe, Devon and had five children:
- Priscilla (my 3rd great grandmother) was born illegitimate on 22 Sep 1796 and baptised on 16 Oct 1796 at Branscombe. She was given her father's surname at the outset so paternity is established.
- Jane was born about 1798-99 (I base this estimate on her age being given as 40 in the 1841 Census, 55 in the 1851 Census, 63 in the 1861 Census, 72 in the 1871 Census and 82 in the 1881 Census) at Old Cleeve, Somerset (1851-1881 Censuses all agree).
- Giles was baptised on 21 Jun 1801 at Broadwey, Dorset
- Jared was baptised on 20 Mar 1803 at Broadwey, Dorset
- Thomas was perhaps born in about 1805 and probably in Dorset, Devon or Somerset but all I know is that he died a bachelor on 25 Dec 1838, as a Planter in British Guiana (now Guyana), and his 1872 probate of 450 pounds was awarded to his sister Jane. I am unclear why that took 34 years to happen but I will leave that to another question. I have not found a Will for Thomas.
Thomas living in Guyana is confirmed by his mother Martha's Will (see What Island is likely to be mentioned on 19th Century Somerset Will?) which says that both Jared and Thomas are Gentlemen on the "Island" of Demerara. She mentions Jared first which makes me think he is older than Thomas. Her will also mentions that:
my property principally consists of what was left to my late husband and myself by our son Giles Chichester and that it remains due to me from my said sons Executors from whom neither my husband nor myself received any part of the principal moneys but always received the annual sum of thirty two pounds from William Chichester Esquire one of such Executors by quarterly payments
Her husband Robert was buried on 27 Feb 1830 so I can deduce that Giles died some time before then. I also know that the William Chichester mentioned is Robert's brother and uncle to Giles, Jared and Thomas, and that he too was living in Demarara where he was also an executor of Jared's Will when he died at sea on 23 Jul 1837 on the way back to England.
Jared's Will mentions that:
I give and bequeath to my late brother's son John Chichester my silver watch formerly worn by his father as a small token of remembrance
Unless there is another brother that I do not know about, and which would appear to contradict Martha's Will listing her five children, this means that Giles had a son and presumably a wife.
The above is a long story, but my question is whether anyone has any ideas about how I could locate the Will of Giles Chichester?
For me this is a key document because I think it should establish whether he was living in Demerara (Guyana) like his two brothers and uncle, and more details. My suspicion is that he married, had a child and died in Guyana because I can find no trace of him, wife or child in England.