I am looking for my father who was an able seaman in the 1960's in the United Kingdom.

He was on the Royal Navy ship HMS Brighton.

I do have an ID that starts d/j......

Are there any sites I can go to that will establish this info?

  • Yes, it was in the UK.
    – user4055
    Commented Jun 17, 2015 at 9:28
  • 1
    godfreydykes.info/… suggests the numbering might be Navy numbering.
    – user104
    Commented Jun 17, 2015 at 10:00
  • He was on HMS Brighton if that helps?
    – user4055
    Commented Jun 17, 2015 at 10:05
  • 1
    Welcome to G&FH SE! As a new user be sure to take the Tour. Please take care as you ask this question that our privacy policy in the help center does not allow the name and any other identifying details of anyone born less than 100 years ago to be posted except within those guidelines. Your question is fine in that respect so far.
    – PolyGeo
    Commented Jun 17, 2015 at 10:19
  • 1
    Review the suggestions in comments at genealogy.stackexchange.com/q/9285/104 which is very similar (I'm assuming you can't prove your father's death).
    – user104
    Commented Jun 17, 2015 at 10:40

2 Answers 2


If your father is no longer alive, and you are his 'Next of Kin' you can apply for his service record. You have to do this direct from the Royal Navy and on payment of a fee they will send you his records. See their website for information on how to do this (item 3 on the page). Royal Navy Research Archive

If he is not deceased then they will not supply the details, and you will have to explore other options in searching for living people.


I managed to access uk military records through a link on Scotlandspeople.govt.uk however I did have to pay for the acccess which I found disappointing because after paying there was no further information than the free data. It was a record from 1861.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.