In the 1890s there was consulate in Kobe, and I am trying to determine whether the consulate issued a particular certificate of marriage.

Did the consulate provide witness to such marriages?

If the consulate did them, would there be records in The National Archives?

The candidate for my great-grandfather is Cecil Zohrab Ede. There are records of him in the National Archives but they concern his probate.

The National Archives sent this email to me.

Thank you for contacting the National Archives. Details of the types of record we hold for overseas marriages can be found here. (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-sea-or-abroad/)

I couldn't search for C.Z. Ede's records. Does anyone know how to do so remotely?

  • 2
    We know that there is no mention in the GRO records so I think the most relevant section is part 3: "Records of overseas births, marriages and deaths from the Foreign Office and Colonial Office (c1820-c1950) Consult records of overseas births, marriages and deaths in various FO and CO series. These records are not searchable by name on our catalogue and are held in various record series. Read Tracing your Ancestors in The National Archives by Amanda Bevan (TNA, 2006) to obtain a record reference from a comprehensive list arranged by country." Does anyone have a copy of Bevan? Jul 27, 2015 at 18:19
  • @user3310902 I have a similar problem trying to locate BMD records of British Subjects abroad in the 19th century genealogy.stackexchange.com/a/1615 so that reference from Bevan looks useful.
    – PolyGeo
    Jul 27, 2015 at 22:10
  • As described in the National Archives research guide you link to, some of these records are on line at findmypast.co.uk or ancestry.co.uk. However, the only records at either site for C.Z. Ede relate to his death in China or his probate. It's not clear if paying a UK researcher will move you much further forward. The DNA evidence you already have may be the best evidence you can get.
    – user104
    Jul 28, 2015 at 16:18
  • @ColeValleyGirl Not sure if this is quite correct. TNA's response quoted above includes link which refers to "Records of overseas births, marriages and deaths from the Foreign Office and Colonial Office (c1820-c1950)" as being unindexed. Are these records available online? If so, where? They are not the same as the GRO records. Jul 28, 2015 at 22:19
  • @user3310902 The FO and CO records aren't online, but the RT, GRO and some others are -- the research guide to which the OP was pointed is explicit about what is and isn't available on line.
    – user104
    Jul 29, 2015 at 6:19


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.