I would like to find a Professional Genealogist to:

  • work with all the time and so that when I make a trip to Germany in a couple of months time I have places to see and points of interest
  • to help me in Germany to start the process of finding my ancestry (and current family) to know where my family originated.

Can anyone advise me about how to find such a Professional Genealogist?

As background, my 3rd great grandfather was Kaiser Wilhelm. My grandmother told me that during World War 2 she was just a little girl and she was put on a boat and went to the United States. My grandmother also told me that she had a charge nurse and a nanny, and that her biological mother had Down Syndrome. Her mother also got sent away but later no one heard from her. My grandmother had jewellery specifically a certain ring.

  • Welcome to G&FH SE! As a new user be sure to take the Tour because this site works differently to bulletin boards, discussion forums and other Q&A sites that you may be used to. To get help here we will need you to use the edit button beneath your question to be much more specific about what it is you want to try and learn. – PolyGeo Aug 14 '15 at 1:06
  • 1
    Are you looking for a professional? These questions are similar: How can I find a professional genealogist to perform a search in Italy? and How to Trace Ancestors to Switzerland and some of the basic principles about choosing a professional found in the answers will also apply to finding a professional who specializes in Prussia. If you want community members to help you with your research, then please ask a specific question -- "I want to do more research" is too broad. – Jan Murphy Aug 14 '15 at 2:38
  • 3
    Kaiser Wilhelm II had 7 children - for a summary of some of those descendants, including some Americans check en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – bgwiehle Aug 14 '15 at 14:18
  • 2
    @Brandi Baska - What kind of help are your hoping to get on your trip to Germany? The German royal family is documented pretty thoroughly for many generations (Almanach de Gotha). Are you also researching other lines or just wanting to visit places associated with your family or ... ? – bgwiehle Aug 14 '15 at 14:26
  • 1
    I have performed some tidy up of comments on this question so that it stays within the Be nice policy. I've tried to make your question clearer based on your comments here. Please do not hesitate to use the edit button to revise it further if what I have paraphrased does not represent your intentions. – PolyGeo Aug 15 '15 at 0:52

The Verband deutschsprachiger Berufsgenealogen is an association of professional genealogists, see their member list. With the search query Berufsgenealoge (= professional genealogist) you'll find more using Google.

Some have advanced knowledge on German-American ancestry, so check their profiles and geographic/thematic areas.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.