I have mentioned my 3rd great grandfather William Slight before in Finding Edinburgh map engraver apprenticeship records of William Slight in 1840s? and Seeking marriage record for James Slight and Elizabeth Boyd from late 1820s probably near Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland? (in which I originally included this question).
The vital record that I am missing for him is his birth/baptism, which probably happened in about 1832. This date seems consistent with:
- the 1829 marriage banns of his parents
- the 1841 Scotland Census which gives his age as 9 (with an older sister Susan aged 11)
- the 1851 England Census which gives his age as 21
- his Marriage Certificate says that he was 23 when he married Louisa Moore on 25 Apr 1852 at South Stoneham, Hampshire, England
- his Death Notice says that he was aged 58 when he died on 6 Feb 1887
- the passenger list of the Shand, on which arrived in Portland, Victoria, Australia on 20 Jan 1855, says that he was 22.
His father was James Slight a Mason which I know from William's Marriage Certificate.
The 1841 Scotland Census verifies James (40), Elizabeth (40), Susan (11), William (9) and James (5) Slight living at Court Street, Haddington. Note: FindMyPast gives their surname as High - they seem to be missing from Ancestry)
He had a sister, Susan Boyd Slight who, according to her Marriage Certificate was the only daughter of late James Slight, Mason, Haddington), when she married Robert Bruce Ewart (a Mason) on 4 Jun 1852 at Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh. Her 1873 Death Certificate in Victoria, Australia records her parents as James Slight and Elizabeth Boyd.
He had a younger brother, James Slight, who according to a declaration signed by his sister Susan Ewart (nee Slight) in 1867, was born in May 1839, but the 1841 Census suggests it was probably a few years earlier around 1836.
His mother's name was Elizabeth, which I know from his death record and the 1841 Census, and I believe her to have been Elizabeth Boyd who was born on 2 Aug 1796 and christened on 12 Aug 1796, at Haddington, East Lothian, to Thomas Boyd (a Mason) and Susan Cleugh.
His father appears to have been the James Slight born on 5 Sep 1797 and christened on 12 Sep 1797 at Whitekirk, East Lothian, to William Slight and Isobel Young.
All my searches so far have failed to turn up these vital records which I would love to locate, especially the first one:
- William Slight's birth/baptism - probably about 1831-32 at or near Haddington
- his sister Susan's birth/baptism - probably about 1830-31 at or near Haddington
- his brother James' birth/baptism - probably about 1836-37 at or near Haddington
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/research/list-of-oprs/list-of-oprs-702-725.pdf suggests that the Haddington baptism records for this period should exist.
However, when I searched the Old Parish Registers Births & Baptisms on 31 Mar 2015 for:
Surname: "slight"; Surname Option: Variants; Forename: ""; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Any"; Date From: 01 January 1801; Date To: 31 December 1840; County: EAST LOTHIAN;
The only Haddington baptisms are:
- 05/07/1831 SLEIGHT MARY JOHN SLEIGHT/MARY BANE FR2280 (FR2280) F HADDINGTON /EAST LOTHIAN 709/00 0070 0155
- 24/09/1835 SLEIGHT ISABELLA JOHN SLEIGHT/MARY BANE FR2305 (FR2305) F HADDINGTON /EAST LOTHIAN 709/00 0070 0203
Both of these appear to be William's first cousins' baptisms and I know from FreeReg that:
- Mary's was witnessed by "William [I think this is William's paternal grandfather] and James [I think this is William's father] Sleight".
- Isabella's was witnessed by "John Irvine and James Slight [I think this is William's father]". She appears to have been named (as expected) after her candidate paternal grandmother who was born Isobel Young.