An aspect of genealogy that I have recently become very interested in is medical genealogy.
Numerous sources give me information about my medical family history, such as:
- anecdotal evidence (for recent ancestors and relatives)
- death certificates (for cause of death)
- newspapers (e.g. unexpected deaths, outbreaks of disease in the community)
- military records (service records sometimes give information on medical history and injuries)
- hospital/asylum records (but even records from 100+ years ago are often difficult to access!)
The genealogy programs I have used in the past do not seem to have good facilities for systematically recording medical information. Some programs have a "cause of death" field for death facts, but for other medical information I have to bury it in notes, which does not allow me to easily find, search, or visualize the information at a later date.
When I have collected more data, a goal might be to generate a list of all my ancestors and relatives that I know had a certain disease or condition.
What methods or programs do you use to store, record or organize medical genealogy information?