For questions about the county of Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands of England, commonly abbreviated "Notts."
Nottinghamshire is a county in the East Midlands region of England. Its bordering counties include Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, and Yorkshire.
The county town and largest population center is Nottingham. Other major towns include Mansfield, Worksop, Retford, Newark, and Sutton-in-Ashfield.
Many records for Nottinghamshire are archived at the Nottinghamshire Archives and University of Nottingham, both located in Nottingham. Both organizations have an online catalogue of records that can be searched:
Other Notts-specific resources that may be of interest:
- Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project: A growing database of information about the churches of Nottinghamshire.
- Ashfield Cemetery Records Online: Online images of the burial registers for Annesley, Hucknall, Huthwaite, Kingsway Old, Kingsway New, and Sutton in Ashfield Cemeteries.
- Gedling Cemetery Records Search: Online indexes for Carlton, Redhill, and Gedling cemeteries.
- Bassetlaw Museum: The website contains over 27,000 photos of local people and places. See the Welchman Archive under Local Photographs.
- East Trent Genealogy: A variety of parish records for parishes in the East Trent Benefice.
- Nottinghamshire Family History Society: Sells parish register transcripts on CD.