I was married before and had 3 children. My wife and I got divorced and have since remarried other people. My new wife and I had a son together and my ex wife and her new husband had a son. These two young boys will be only related by their older siblings. Is there a name for what they are? I've searched the web but cannot find a term

  • Welcome to GFH SE! I normally go to stevemorse.org/relation/calculator.html to look for terms that might apply but that provides no option to insert ex-spouses that arise from divorce.
    – PolyGeo
    Commented Aug 13, 2014 at 23:57

1 Answer 1


Since there is no blood/genetic relation between such siblings of half-siblings, there may not be an official term. Unofficially people sometimes refer to them as cross siblings which I believe is a play on cross cousins, which is an official genetic term.

  • 1
    Although I had never seen the term before this answer, the wikipedia article on "Siblings" includes a section on cross siblings [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibling#Cross_siblings ]. Whatever the derivation, the label will gain currency, as these relationships become more frequent.
    – bgwiehle
    Commented Aug 15, 2014 at 12:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.