I am researching my ancestor William Hudson Minnick who has this timeline.
- He may have been born in Iowa.
- He married my grandmother Cecilia Mallon in Liverpool, UK in 1920. The marriage certificate:
- showed his age on 11/2/20 as 36 so I put his date of birth as 1884.
- said he was born in the USA
- said he was a ships officer
- named his father as George Hudson (deceased)
- He then disappears completely, with no trace of any children. I am assuming he was in the USA merchant navy.
My gran remarried in 1932; no-one in the family knew about this first husband.
I have been trying to find lists of merchant seamen without much luck.
Searching the US census I found a William H Minnick living in Portland Oregon who was born in Iowa.