I am using Mac Family Tree currently as my primary 'tree' database and my biggest issue with it is the ease of 'sourcing' events.
As of this post I am running version 7.3.2.(and as of 7.5 still exists)
My understanding of the way to 'source' something is:
- Create the event under the person.
Go to the far right gear and click "Edit Event" (which takes you to another screen)
Scroll down to the Sources section of the event.
- Click "Add New Source" or "Add Existing Source"
- If you click "Add Existing Source" brings up a dialog where you can selective your repetitive sources like Census Years.
- Then once added, you can enter the further details like page, etc..
- If you are adding a new source it is another 2 screens deep you have to proceed, then return to step 5 and 6.
- Once step 5 and 6 are complete you have to hit back to return to the person.
- Repeat for each new event. So if adding occupation in year and place of residence for example for a person from a single census you have to repeat this twice.
I have read the manual, broke down and watched the YouTube video for an older verison, and even filed feature requests with the software. Per this generic review, adding sources is "easy", so I just want to make sure I am not missing something or if there is an easier way. My personal expectation is that I would be able to right click and add a source from the event in the person screen, just like add an existing location.
Adding a source from to the 'person' is a somewhat similar process, but it does not tie to the event just generically to the person. I am a previous user of Family Tree Maker it was SO much easier on it so I hope I am just missing something.
Is there a way to source an event within a person Mac Family Tree from the person screen?