In a southern German church record from 1793 I found the professional designation "Wagenknecht". From the context it is clear that the person was working in the military at the time, and it seems he was responsible for the carts and carriages of an artillery regiment. How would you translate his occupation into English?

  • Wagenknecht translates as wagon-servant, but I don't know enough about military support functions to provide a more technically correct English equivalent. – bgwiehle Nov 10 '18 at 17:25
  • "Wagoneer" was suggested as a translation, but, like @bgwiehle, I don't know enough about late 18th century military support personnel to judge whether the assigned duties were similar. – user3697176 Nov 10 '18 at 20:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.